White Cupcake with Chocolate Icing
Vegan White Cupcake with Chocolate Icing - Classic Birthday Cupcake
I'm just now getting around to posting the other cupcake I had the honor of making for my friend Shaun's Birthday Party. When he said he wanted the classic white cake with chocolate icing for his Birthday I got a little nervous. Vegan White Cake has always been a challenge for me to find the perfect recipe, but I didn't want to let him down.
I started scouring through my cookbooks and found a recipe that I had modified that works for cupcakes only, not for an actual cake. So, please be sure to only use this cake recipe for cupcakes.
The sponge is a little dense, but with the right icing ratio, the moistness and flavor of the cake makes up for the density.
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/3 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix with a large spoon. Mix until all the ingredients are combined and there are few lumps. If need be, you can use a whisk to get the lumps out.
3. Fill the liners till they are 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
4. Let them cool for a few minutes in the pans, and then remove them and place on cooling racks to cool off completely.
1/4 cup margarine, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup unsweetened coca powder (sifted if there are clumps)
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons soymilk
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Cream together the margarine and the shortening until well combined. Add the cocoa powder and incorporate well. Add the confectioners sugar in about 1/2 cup batched and beat well, adding a little splash of soymilk after each addition. When all ingredients have been well incorporated, add the vanilla and beat until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes with a stand mixer, 7 minutes if mixing with a fork)