Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Vegan Cardamom spiced Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
This past Sunday my bell choir had a special performance and all the ringers baked for the guests of the show. I know we have some vegans, so I thought this recipe would be perfect!
I miss having a Potbelly sandwich shop out here in LA so badly, so sometimes I make this recipe using to take me back to Chicago in an instant when I am feeling homesick!
This recipe is soft and chewy and doesn't have any of those pesky raisins in them to ruin the entire batch.
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine (I like Earth Balance) softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup + 2 Tbs water
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cup flour
2 cups chocolate chips (Guittard is vegan)
1. Preheat Oven to 375 degrees F
2. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon in a medium size bowl. Add quick cooking oats (Old fashioned oats will also work if you don't have quick oats on hand)
3. In a large bowl mix with a wooden spoon by hand sugar, brown sugar, margarine, shortening, and water.
4. in 2 to 3 additions add dry ingredients to large bowl. Add chocolate chips until just combined.
5. Use a cookie scoop to place cookies on ungreased baking sheet. Gently push down on cookies for a more flat and round cookie.
6. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet after 2-3 minutes to cool entirely.