Creme Anglaise - Topping for Cranberry-Lemon French Toast Bake
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
(1) 2 inch piece of vanilla bean
3 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1. Split Vanilla Bean in half lengthwise by scoring one side. Scrape the pulp from inside the bean with a paring knife and add the pulp and the split bean to the milk before heating.
2. Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a stainless-steel bowl. Whip until thick and light.
3. Scald the milk in a boiling water bath or over direct heat.
4. Very gradually pour the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture while stirring constantly with the whip.
5. Set the bowl in a pan of simmering water. Heat it, stirring constantly, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon or until it reaches 185 degrees F
6. Immediately remove the bowl from the heat and set in a pan of cool water to stop the cooking. Stir in the vanilla extract if not using vanilla bean. Stir the sauce occasionally as it cools.