Chocolate Chip Cookies
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
I took these Chocolate Chip Cookies to the Memorial Day Cookout that I was invited to yesterday. It seemed perfect timing to post this recipe on the blog.
This was the first vegan recipe that I ever tried to make. I of course made it to try to impress a girl and I must say it worked! This was back in the 90's before you could just look up any recipe online and watch a video of a seven year old on youtube who knows way more than you ever will explain just about anything.
The girl I was trying to impress had a vegan 'zine and I tried the recipe for her and it turned out really well. I began to tinker with the recipe to perfect it and then continued to try to turn other recipes vegan with a degree of success. In pastry school the chefs were always happy to help me experiment further.
This recipe always gets high praise and I'm pretty sure is the only reason I ever get invited to parties. I have made these cookies for my first day at every job I've ever had and it has always helped me start conversations on a good note!
I hope it goes well for you!
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, firm pack
1/2 cup margarine (i like Earth Balance) softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 tbls + 1 1/2 tsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz chocolate chips (I like Guittard for vegan choc chips)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Sift Flour, Baking Soda, and Salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside
3. In a larger mixing bowl stir together sugar, brown sugar, margarine, shortening, vanilla extract and water by hand with a wooden spoon.
4. In two to three additions add in the flour mixture. Add chocolate chips until just combined. Do not over mix.
5. Use a cookie scoop to portion out 12 cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
6. Bake for 9-12 minutes depending on size of cookies.
7. Remove from baking sheet to cool after 2-4 minutes.